In 2013 the U.S. Postal service will be releasing an annual promotional calendar to notify marketers of upcoming promotions. This “2013 Mailing Services Promotions Calendar” will house 6 promos designed to produce interest in the benefits of mobile barcodes in direct mail, and become more successful in marketing campaigns.
“The promotions that are being planned for the coming year will help grow awareness of the ways in which technology can improve the effectiveness of direct mail,” said Gary Reblin, vice president, Domestic Products. “The ‘2013 Mailing Services Promotions Calendar’ also will give commercial mailers more time to plan their campaigns so that they can take full advantage of both postage savings and marketing opportunities to engage their customers with targeted, tangible and personal communications.”
These proposed promotional details are subject to review by the Postal Regulatory Commission:
The United States Post Office just announced the new folded self mailing standards that will go into effect in January 2013.
These standards will affect many mailers on how they design the mail piece and which stock they can print it on.
Below is a link and or download option of the Folding Self Mailer Workshop Presentation that the USPS provided to assist mailers who mail Folded Self Mailers.
Based on the recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Postal Service had a price inflation of 2.570 % which included the various unused price adjustment authority by class. The average increases are below:
The Postal Service asked for the approval for a total of six promotions (i.e. QR Code, etc.) to be held over the year according to a file sent to the Postal Regulatory Commission. Customers raised a concern that they did not have enough time to take part in the promotions. The Postal Service is addressing these concerns.
The promotions include:
- Mobile Coupon/Click-to-Call - A promotion that pursues an increase in the value of direct mail by accentuating the integration of mail with mobile technology in 2 specific ways. First, the promotion would encourage mailers to combine coupons in the mail with mobile-optimized platforms for redemption. Second, it will promote understanding of mail containing mobile codes with “click-to-call” capabilities.
- Earned Value Reply Mail Promotion - This promotion is designed to push the use of First-Class Mail® as a primary reply tool for their customers.
- Emerging Technology - This promotion was created to build on the achievements of past mobile barcode promotions by promoting how innovative technology can be integrated with a direct mail strategy to increase the value of direct mail.
- Picture Permit - The Picture Permit promotion was created to promote the use of picture permit imprint indicia to increase its view as a marketing tool.
- Product Samples - This promotion will regain product sampling via the mail by discounting qualified product samples.
- Mobile Buy-it-Now - This promotion will encourage mailers to entrust technologies that will strengthen consumers interaction with mail, and exhibit how direct mail can be an easy method for consumers to do their holiday shopping.
Description of Prices: The 3 classes that will be focused on are: Standard Mail, Periodicals & Packages Services.
On June 27, 2012, the Postal Service filed a Notice of Price Adjustment with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) for a 2012 Holiday Mobile Shopping Promotion tentatively scheduled to run November 7 – 21, 2012, with registration beginning September 15, 2012. Pending PRC approval, the proposed holiday promotion is designed to spur mobile purchasing by putting mobile-optimized promotional offers, coupons and catalogs into their customers’ hands in time for Black Friday-Cyber Monday shopping sprees.
As technology changes the marketing landscape, the Postal Service must ensure that direct mail continues to be a relevant part of the marketing mix. This promotion is intended to show how direct mail combined with mobile technology can be a convenient method for consumers to do their holiday shopping.
This is the third promotion the Postal Service has offered to encourage the integration of mail and mobile technology – the initial being the 2011 Mobile Barcode Promotion, and the second is the Mobile Commerce and Personalization Promotion that begins this Sunday, July 1st.
Discount and Rebate Amounts
The Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) approved the postage price adjustment for First-Class Mail and Standard Mail letters, flats, and cards (presort and automation) that contain a qualifying mobile barcode inside or on the mail pieces.
The Postal Service will revise the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail
Manual (DMMR) 709.3 to add a new temporary promotion in the summer of 2012 for Presorted and automation First-
Class Mail cards, letters and flats, and Standard Mail letters and flats bearing two-dimensional mobile barcodes or equivalent print technology.
Effective Date: July 1, 2012, through August 31, 2012.